Friday, August 19, 2011

To the party birds out there

Getting invited to a party is a difficult thing. I suspect that the people who are really chilled out and spend a lot of time with their friends are most likely to hear about parties, so of course they will have the most parties to go to. Of late I have got used to thinking that it is a sign of bad social behaviour to not go to parties! No dudes, I'm sorry, I was mistaken and no amount of your trying to make me feel small about this is going to help any longer. In fact, by not going to those crazy parties every now and then and preserving my sanity I am doing the extra work you leave behind. I am able to get up the next morning and sit down to work while you are still busy recovering from last night's fun. Have your pick. Numb yourself with booze and fun songs and dances, and get ready to discover who is jealous of whom. That is what parties are about.
Friends' birthdays, weddings and graduation ceremonies are the only league of occasions which warrant a party. The rest is balderdash basically and goodness knows it is a big shout to spend your Friday evenings with a cool crowd. Alright, if you have a crowd, have fun. But please don't sit in a corner because it is Friday evening and you don't have any parties to go to and you don't have a crowd. The reason you don't is because actually you don't want to go to them. Basically you are getting what you want.
It is a lot more comforting to sit at home and enjoy a sensible novel with a bowl of ice cream in hand than get drunk at some birthday bash and spend the next hours with a raging headache. I have had enough of wanting to be somebody else: You can keep your parties to yourself.

1 comment: