Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I re-read the last part of the series yesterday and today. I was surprised this time because the chapter "King's Cross", which I had failed to understand fully before, seemed much clearer to me all of a sudden. There are strong references to Christianity in this book at several points. Interesting enough that in books one through five I have not spotted these references (yet?). Looking up on the internet I found others have pointed out that the inscriptions on the Dumbledores' and Potters' graves at Godric's Hollow are directly quoted from the Bible.

I have been struggling with the concept of resurrection and life beyond death for a long time. It keeps popping out at me from unexpected places. I must say I have not understood the whole idea. Even more confusing than that idea is the sacrifice of Jesus for all humanity on the cross. Though the idea at times is a really comforting one to me I find it difficult to place it and I do not seem to have grasped it yet. Perhaps at some point when these ideas are thrown at me from a certain angle I will be able to see more clearly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment